Thursday, March 3, 2011

Alyssum sprouting

I planted a 72 flat of coleus and alyssum two days ago and the alyssum are starting to show their roots.  Nothing from the coleus but I'll try to be patient.




My brassica seedlings are still alive.  I watered them for the first time yesterday.  The Burpee seed starter pellets seem to hold onto water so I resisted watering.  I also misted them with the chamomile tea to prevent damping off.  I have no clue when to expect true leaves or if the seedlings look the way they should or not now.  Are they too leggy? Are the stems too thin? Hard to evaluate hardiness if you have no clue what that looks like.  Is this what parents go through in evaluating their children's developmental milestones? I thought I'd be a much more easy going grower than this...  shocking to find myself peering at them multiple times a day wondering if the seedlings are healthy.



 Perhaps my lack of confidence is visible to all since my offer to grow flowers for my girlfriends' roof deck was politely declined.  Apparently they don't like straggly geraniums and they prefer to pick them out.  In other words they don't trust me.  However, they would be grateful for morning glory vines and nasturtiums (I can't even spell that flower).  So essentially if a flower is a weed and requires no special care they think they'll get something from me come Memorial Day planting.  Maybe I'll surprise us all with a bounty of healthy gorgeous flowers.....



No comments:

Post a Comment