Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Fenway Garden Society Board has been busy

I went to check something over at the Fenway Victory Garden website and discovered that changes abound.  The new 2011 dates are in as well as all updates on FVG policies, etc.  Also FVG is committing to its virtual footprint in highly useful ways.  I was excited to see that the new President Mike Mennonno had started a blog for the Fenway Victory Gardens that included information about the FVG, community gardening, Boston green space, and victory gardening in general.  The FVG Facebook group is active again.  They introduced us to a new garden social networking site Your Garden Show where FVG gardeners can share their gardens and easily keep track of plantings, post pics and videos, keep gardening journals, etc.  I've added my garden there as well to keep the other FVG gardener Kristen's glog company. And for all of you who want to see pics of gardens over at the FVG they have started a group photobook at Flickr so people can upload pics of their gardens.

I uploaded photos from the after party of the last FVG clean up to the Flickr site if you want to see some FVG gardeners looking dirty after a great morning getting the gardens ready for winter.  Speaking of winter my mom and I went to go look at the garden yesterday.  It is still buried under snow but I was relieved to see only minor damage so far from our tough blizzards this season.  My arbor lost it's roof but that will be an easy fix come spring.  We also got to see a pussy willow tree in full bloom against a blue sky.  It looked like snow crystals on branches.  Spectacular.  The red cardinals are also all about enjoying the bits and pieces poking through the snow.

More updates on the growing station....  Mom and Dad bought us an incredible new light so one more shelf for seedstarting.  In return I sowed 72 coleus and alyssum for their NH garden.  The seeds were so small that I had to pick them up with a moist needle and transfer them one by one to their new home.  I hope they germinate.  I am using my only non-organic seedstarting kit for the flowers.  It has a self-watering mat which I hope will keep them happy for a while since I don't have the best history with keeping things wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment